About Platform 2
Effectively managing and stewarding data is vital to the success of the P2IRC program, which cuts across several disciplines and sectors interacting with one another. The goal of the Data Management Platform is to ensure the preservation, retention and sharing of P2IRC data and metadata during and after the program. To support this goal, the platform maintains a federated repository and central public-facing portal with well-defined data and metadata formats, standards and protocols that are based on best practices, including adhering to FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable and Reusable) principles for scientific data management and stewardship.
Working with P2IRC’s Flagship projects, Platform 2 is:
- Creating a well-defined data model for the entire program’s data and metadata;
- Establishing tools and application programing interfaces to support the collection, storage, access and sharing of data and metadata through a web portal that acts as both a web application and a set of RESTful (Representational State Transfer) software services;
- Adopting or adapting the features of other international data management initiatives wherever possible to reduce our costs; and
- Using the P2IRCprogram’s federated cloud infrastructure developed during Phase I, to achieve the integration of P2IRC data and analytical tools into a single portal and repository.
The following projects are currently underway within Platform 2:
Identifying and establishing effective data and metadata model and standards, as well as appropriate system support and infrastructure for a data management portal and repository
To establish effective data models and metadata standards for the entire P2IRC program, this platform is collaborating with Flagship Projects to:
- Evaluate current models and approaches;
- Standardize data management and stewardship processes and interoperability;
- Establish support infrastructure for the data management portal and repository, including support for databases, file systems, the federated cloud and curated data lake.
Defining, designing and developing key data and software management requirements for a public-facing sustainable data management portal and repository.
Working with P2IRC’s Flagship Projects, the Data Management Platform is gathering feedback to determine key data software management requirements. The information will be used to design and develop a sustainable data management portal and repository for P2IRC that is guided by FAIR principles.